Book Review: Touch of Frost

Title: Touch of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Publisher: K-Teen
Rating: 5

Synopsis (via Goodreads): My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...

Review: This review should've been posted a long time ago. I think I finished reading this book maybe two months ago now, but I've been so busy with high school swim team that I haven't had time to blog much. Well, guess what? I'm back! =D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I heard about this book from Katie's Book Blog a while back and decided I wanted to read it. It sounded interesting, I like reading murder mysteries, and I trusted Katie's 4 shoe review. After reading the prequel, I was kind of nervous about what the first book would be like in general because I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but I'm still glad that I gave this one a spin.

Let's just say, I love Jennifer Estep's writing. There's enough detail that you can visualize what's going on, but there's not so much that you feel overwhelmed. It's the perfect amount. Mythos Academy reminded me of Hogwarts from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series (which I have yet to read all seven...). The school itself is hidden from the general public and assures students that spells have been cast around campus to exclude evil spirits from coming in. Well, we all know what happened to Hogwarts...

Gwen is an amazing idol in my opinion. She's not too sure how to fit in at school with her gift and eventually decides to be herself. This is how she meets new friends and winds up taking control over finding the murderer on campus. Throughout the book, I cheered her on. Now, I can't wait to see what happens to this strong, independent girl (who better not rely on Logan because I'm still investigating what kind of person he is)  in the next installment of the series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting on Wednesday (1)

Stacking the Shelves (9)

Liebster Award: 2016